|Home ► Living ► Workouts ► Back|
|Do these simple poses to increase strength and flexibilty and improve back health.|
1. Bridge Pose (Modified - 3 Steps)
- Lay on back with knees bent, arms along your side, palms on the ground and lift hips up (hold for a few breaths) then lower.
- Lift hips and place a block under the lower back and rest on block (can do this with both levels of the block, lifting hips higher each time).
- Remove the block, keeping hips raised, roll onto the shoulders to interlace hands under the back.
2. Knees to Chest
- Knees to chest.
- Rock side to side massaging the lower back.
- Try to bring shoulders close to the ground while lengthening spine along ground.
3. Spinal Twists
- Lying down with legs out straight, open arms into a 'T' position.
- Bend one knee and place opposite hand on the outside of raised knee.
- Pull raised knee across your body towards the ground while you turn your gaze the opposite way.
4. Cat / Cow Stretch
- On hands and knees, curl your forehead towards your pelvis as you round your back.
- Then bring your gaze towards the ceiling as you arch your back and open your chest.
5. Upward Dog and Cobra
- From cow pose, drop your hips to the ground while straightening your arms and find yourself in upward dog.
- Bending your elbows, lower your chest towards the ground while keeping arms tight to your ribs and gaze upwards to find yourself in cobra.
6. Child's Pose
- Press your sit bones back to your heels and place forehead to the ground with arms reached out to release tension in the lower back.
Watch Trish doing this routine on the Marilyn Denis Show »